Today February 9th is National Pizza Day! Last year on National Pizza Day I shared about the Protein Pizza by Pieology, which I loved, it was a chicken based crust that is perfect for Keto eaters, read about that here http://bit.ly/3cRzuWz.  This year I thought I would share some fun pizza facts and some of our favorite pizza places.

Pizza is one of our family's favorite meals.  It is said that the average American eats 40 pizza's a year, I can see that, we eat pizza close to once a week. 

My boys are pretty basic and stick to Cheese and Pepperoni, the most popular topping in the United States is pepperoni. My go to order is pepperoni, sausage, onions and mushrooms.  I also love a Chicken BBQ Cilantro pizza if I want something out of the norm. 

The first pizzeria opened in the United States in New York City in 1905 by a man named Gennaro Lombardi. It is reported that New York alone has over 9,000 pizzerias and there are 70,000 across the United States.  My husband and I visited New York on our honeymoon and I sure did enjoy that classic New York style pizza. 

We all know Chicago is famous for Deep Dish Pizza, did you know our very own California is famous for Thin Crust Pizza, which is also the most popular type of pizza. 

Did you know the most popular night for pizza is Saturday?  In our house it is Friday for us. 

The top five pizza sale days are Super Bowl Sunday, New Years Eve, Halloween, Thanksgiving Eve, and New Year's Day, and I must admit I think we have personally ordered pizza on all these days. 

October is National Pizza month here in the United States and another popular day to celebrate with pizza is on March 14th, for Pi Day, you can check out our homemade pie we made in celebration of 3.14 here http://bit.ly/2N6ielF.

My boys recently showed me a video of Mr. Beast eating the most expensive pizza, it rings in at $70,000, WOW! The tab came to over $76,000 with tax, I was impressed that they also donated $20,000 to a food bank.

Here are some of our favorite pizzas. 

Campelli's in Roseville I could not find a picture that I took of their pizza, I took this one below of inside.  They also have a keto friendly option that is a Parm Crisp Crust, that is only like 4 carbs, great option for all the keto and low carb eaters. 


Pre-Covid, one of our Sacramento favorites was Pizza Rock Downtown, unfortunately they have closed. If you are ever in Las Vegas, I believe they have locations their.  I love their Detroit Style Deep Dish and their honey pancetta fries, OMG, heavenly. 

Superb Pizza in North Highlands, is a local favorite, their crust is thick and if you like mushrooms, this is the place to order a pepperoni mushroom pizza, they have thinly sliced almost shaved style mushrooms and they pile them on, one of my favorites. 

Pictured below Pineapple Lava Pork Flatbread from Buckhorn Grill

Pictured below Cauliflower Crust at Pizza Factory in Pollock Pines, we have stopped here on the way to Apple Hill, they have a salad bar and yummy pizza. 


If you are ever visiting Gualala, which is a beautiful scenic drive up Highway 1, check out Upper Crust Pizzeria, they gave my son pizza dough to play with while our pizza cooked and they let the boys help spread the sauce on our pizza.  The pizza was delicious too!


As for Pizza Chains, we probably eat more Dominoes because it is inexpensive and near our house.  We used to eat a lot more Papa John's until the one in our neighborhood closed down.  Round Table is a family favorite and Mountain Mikes too!  I grew up loving Pizza Hut! Did you know Pizza Hut delivered pizza to space?  In 2001 they delivered the first pizza to outer space, paying about $1 million dollars, that was a pricey .  If you are local here, and you remember back in the day the Pizza Hut buffet that was in North Highlands on Watt Avenue, that was my all time favorite, I think because the pans had been used for years, I am convinced the pizza's cooked differently, because while I do love Pizza Hut, none I've recently visited compares to that location, they closed that location and moved down the street but it is just not the same. 



For Valentine's over the years we have frequently bought the heart shaped pizza from Papa Murphy's as well as made our own heart shaped pizzas.  If you are a Keto eater, I love Papa Murphy's Keto crustless pizza's too, they are loaded with cheese and toppings and although small in size, I can easily get two meals from one and many times three meals if I pair with a salad. 




When people ask if you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, pizza is my answer.  It is great for breakfast, lunch and dinner and there are so many ways you can change it up.  

I will share any Pizza Deals I find in celebration of #NationalPizzaDay on my Instagram Stories, so be sure to follow me over on Instagram @BlogAboutItAll. Cheers to celebrating Pizza, if you have a local Sacramento or Northern California Pizza favorite, tag me or e-mail me at theblogaboutitall@gmail.com, I would love to give it a try.