We recently made Pozole in the Instant Pot and WOW, it was so easy to make and it was delicious!  Pozole is a traditional Mexican soup that is often served on Christmas Eve.  You may have heard of Menudo, Pozole is similar, except Pozole is typically made with Pork or Chicken and the liquid of the soup is most often red in color.  Another difference between Pozole and Menudo is, Menudo has Tripe, which is not my favorite, not in taste or texture, so I prefer Pozole over Menudo.  

What you need: 
3 lbs Pork Shoulder Trimmed and Cubed
3 Dried Guajillo Chiles
1 Tbsp Garlic Salt
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Mexican Oregano
2 Tbsp. Red California Chili Powder
3 Cloves of Minced Garlic
1 Bay Leaf (I did not have any, so on this batch I left it out)
1 Yellow Onion Cut in Half
14.5 oz Can of Chicken Broth
You can also add in more chicken bouillon, I would add 2-3 Tbsp., on this batch I added a packet of Lono Life Chicken Broth Powder.  
1 29 oz Can of Teasdale White Hominy (strain and rinse)

Toppings for Pozole:
Shredded Cabbage
Sliced Radishes
Diced Onion and Cilantro
Lime Wedges
Directions:
You can brown the meat some on the sauté function for 5-10 minutes. 
Add in your spices.
Add in 14.5 oz Can of Chicken Broth and add water to the fill line.
Add in 1 Yellow Onion cut in half. I used a slotted spoon to scoop the onion chunks out when done.
Place lid on Instant Pot, make sure valve is set to sealing and cook on meat option for 38 minutes.
While the Instant Pot is going, remove the stem from the Dried Guajillo Chiles and as much of the seeds that you can, I cut the dry chilies in half, boil them in water to rehydrate.  Place the rehydrated chilies and about 1/4 cup of the boiling water to your blender and blend.  Strain and set aside to add into the Instant Pot. I did not strain mine, it blended really well in my mini Ninja Blender, and I could not find my strainer, so I went with it and it was fine.  
Once the 38 minute timer goes off, do a quick release of the pressure.  Once the pressure is released, remove the lid and add in a 29 oz can of White Hominy, strain and rinse first, we like to use the Teasdale brand.  Also add in the blended Guajillo Chile liquid, this is where the majority of the red color comes from. 
Cook on soup function for 20 minutes.
Have your toppings sliced and ready to serve. I like mine piled high with toppings and if I was not eating Keto, I would also have tortilla chips, preferably homemade corn tortilla chips along side with this, since Keto, I left out the chips. 
I grew up watching my parents eat Menudo more than Pozole.  I fell in love with Pozole because one of my best friends in High School's mom made it often.  I remember it taking hours on the stove top, I was pleasantly surprised that in about an hour it was done with the Instant Pot. 

After making it myself, I also realized how low-carb and keto-friendly this soup is.  If you skip the Hominy it is really low in carbohydrates and even with the Hominy, if you are not strict keto Pozole is a great soup option.  

I hope you will give this recipe a try, if you love Mexican food and flavors you will love Pozole! Thank you for reading if you've enjoyed the content you've read above please share with your friends.