A huge congratulations to the family and fans of Selena Quintanilla! I am so happy to hear that she was honored at the 2021 Grammys.  Selena was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award.

According to the Recording Academy’s description: “The Lifetime Achievement Award celebrates performers who have made outstanding contributions of artistic significance to the field of recording.”

Selena won her first Grammy for Best Mexican-American Album for Selena Live! at the 36th Grammy Awards in 1994, this was the first time a female Tejano artist won in the category.

I love this post pictured below shared by her husband Chris Perez on Instagram. Chris writes "Lifetime Achievement Award! To say that I'm proud of all that Selena represents and so proud of her accomplishments would be a HUGE understatement. Special thanks to the Grammy organization and especially all of you (her fans) that continue to listen, watch, and support all the amazing things she left behind for us to treasure. I'll be watching the awards tonight with the biggest smile on my face...just knowing that she'd be so honored AND HAPPY!"

The official Selena Instagram page also shared this post below with some photos of Selena getting ready before the 36th Annual Grammy Awards in 1994.  

Verified

"In 1994 hours before the 36th Annual Grammy Awards held in New York, Selena was with her sister Suzette having her hair styled in what would become one her most iconic timeless looks. This was Selena’s first Grammy experience and she was very excited. So excited that she took her camera with her so she can take pictures with other artists at the ceremony. However, they didn’t allow her to bring her camera with her but she jokingly said, “They didn’t allow me to bring my camera with me however, I left with this!”, holding her Grammy in a 1994 interview."

I love Selena, it is so sad that her life was tragically cut short at the age of 23.  I have been meaning to share my thoughts on the Netflix series.  I have heard mixed reviews from many people about the new Netflix series.  Some people hate it and some people loved it.  One thing I am grateful for the series is the awareness it has brought about Selena and her life.  I am still amazed at how many people I meet who have never heard of her.  So regardless if everyone likes the Netflix series or not, as Selena fans we should celebrate the light it shines on her life and life story.  

I will say this Jennifer Lopez will always be my favorite, since she was the first one we watched portray Selena I think that plays a huge part and and she did a fantastic job.

Although I do agree with some that the wigs, and certain parts of the Netflix series were not up to par.  I will say I love the family dynamic and the peek they gave us into the struggle the family went through. 

I know a lot of people do not like Abraham Selena's father, and don't appreciate how Chris Selena's husband has been cut out of the picture.  While I do agree, I hate seeing Chris not involved. It is sad, it is another reminder of how toxic unforgiveness, and bitterness is.  I wish I could see this family heal and partner together including Chris in her legacy.  

No matter, what happened to cause the breach, the truth is none of us will really know.  I've heard a statement, there is his side, her side and the truth. Each side has a bit of truth or what they see as truth from their perspective and let's be honest in every family there are hurts, disappointments, trust that is tested, broken and the list goes on.  One thing I hope to instill in my children and one thing I admire about my mom and her side of the family is that I have seen is NO MATTER WHAT, we are family.  

Photo by @YourCreativeCounterPart

I could tell you stories of betrayal, hurts, I won't because it doesn't help by pointing out my wound is bigger than your wound, I will say life is short and if you step back and look at the big picture, think generational, think about breaking generational curses yes, and also realize, as you heal your heart, work on your life and your actions, the only thing you can control is you, as you heal and grow you also help bring healing to the other people in your life.  Freedom flows both down a family tree, but also flows up.  

While you cannot control what others do, you can make a huge impact in living a life of kindness and forgiveness with your family and extended family.  While I believe in the importance of setting boundaries and not staying in toxic environments, I think you can still be kind, you can still send a Christmas card, you can still at the very least send a text to them on their birthday. For your own healing and peace of mind and heart, you should aim to live with no regrets.  

Forgiveness is more for you than for the other person, so if anything forgive for you, forgive and foster family for future generations. I am not saying it is easy, it is a process.  Sometimes it will feel like you take one step forward and five steps back. I get it.  I understand everyone is on their own personal journey of healing, forgiving, and restoration, I just encourage you, no matter what part of the journey you are on, don't quit, keep going on the healing process.  Life is too short and relationships are so essential.  

I love this Selena sweatshirt I bought, it is my favorite Selena merch from a local Sacramento artist, I purchased this beautiful Selena sweater I am wearing in the photographs below, from my friend Erica's husband.  Erica is a local Sacramento creative over at Eraeholland.com.  You can find this beautiful Selena sweatshirt and more of Erica's husbands gorgeous artwork and apparel at theDopeOnes.com.


Again a HUGE congratulations to the Quintanilla Family and Selena's husband, they must be so proud of the huge impact Selena has made and continues to make.  I can only imagine that they are grateful that her memory is kept alive and her life is being celebrated. Her music is timeless and brings joy to so many.  

I shared a post last year on the 25th Anniversary of her death if you would like to read more about Selena check out that post here http://bit.ly/3tgLVAm.  Thank you for reading if you've enjoyed the content you've read above please share with your friends.