We were invited to watch an advanced screening of The Flash, the new movie that comes out on June 16th. There will be no spoilers in this review. 

One of my sons is super into The Flash and has watched the Netflix series, so he was super excited to see this movie. While my sons love DC Comics and know so much more about these characters, I was watching as a novice. While I love all superhero movies I am no expert. I grew up watching superhero movies because my dad and brother were into them and now I have four boys, so I am still watching all these films, I've actually come to love them myself, even though I don't always recognize the easter eggs that are sprinkled throughout. 


One thing I love about this movie is it shows the story of The Flash and how he came to be, so if you know nothing about The Flash, this movie is great and if you are a Flash fan, you will be happy that this movie showcases The Flash storyline. 

If you do not follow super hero or comics closely here is a little background. The Flash (2023) is based on the DC Comics character The Flash (1940). This film is produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, DC Studios, Double Dream, and the Disco Factory. Films featuring The Flash began in the 1980s, while the comic character first appeared in 1940. 

Here are some character facts, The Flash has super speed, superhuman agility, and intangibility, creates and controls lightning, can time travel, and has multiverse knowledge. 

In the 1940 comic character, The Flash who was a college student Jay Garrick acquired his super speed abilities in a random lab accident. All generations of The Flash have been members of The Justice Society and The Justice League. 

Now let's jump into 2023 The Flash Movie. The movie is two and a half hours long. Sometimes a movie can feel long, but this movie did not feel long in my opinion. First, this is for the parents of younger children, this film is rated PG 13, and rightly so. I was not expecting the male nudity, and neither was my seven-year-old and there was some cussing. So parents just so you are aware there are a couple of scenes where Barry Allen AKA The Flash, loses his clothes and it shows his butt. 

I am an 80s baby and 90s kid who grew up with the Michael Keaton Batman, so I LOVE that this movie had Michael Keaton as Batman. I loved how although this film is mainly about The Flash and his story, it brought in so many comic favorites, like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Super Girl.

Now as for the plot of this movie, I loved it. I love that this movie showcases his mom and this movie definitely pulled on my heartstrings. I don't know if it is just because I am a mom, but this movie had me shed a tear. 

I don't want to give too much of this movie away, I hate when I read a movie review and they give all the big points away, so I am going to keep this review simple. I give this movie an 8/10. My son who is super into The Flash gives it an 8/10, and my brother who previewed the movie with us gave it a 7/10. Aside from our ratings, I think we can all agree we are all looking for things to do this summer, and going to the movies is a great way to escape the heat, go see The Flash. 

Let's talk characters, I already mentioned Michael Keaton as Batman, and I also loved Sasha Calle as Super Girl. I honestly don't follow a ton of actors and I do not know everyone by name, I know a face, but I often times have to look up who the actor was. I had to look up who played Flash, it is Ezra Miller. After looking him up, I read that Ezra Miller walked the red carpet at The Flash premiere this past Monday and I guess it has been his first public appearance in years amid legal issues. I don't know anything about his situation, but I thought he did a great job of portraying The Flash. He did a great job being that nerdy, yet funny goof, while also showing emotion and empathy throughout the movie. My sons are split two of them say that Ezra Miller is better than the TV Series Flash, Grant Gustin.



A question everyone is asking nowadays "Is there an end scene?" It seems as if every movie nowadays has an end scene, way after all the credits, this one did as well, not giving any spoilers because if you are an avid moviegoer and an avid superhero fan, I am sure you will stay to watch the end scene for yourself, I don't want to give anything away. In my opinion, this end scene felt like they were just doing one to have one. In my opinion, it did not have much meaning to it or show something to look forward to like most do. You'll have to watch for yourself, maybe I just didn't understand or follow some storyline that I may have missed. 

Now let's talk about merch. Merch is so popular, now even at the movie theatre, everyone is showing the popular popcorn buckets that sell out. I did not see a popcorn bucket at the Century Theatre we were at, but they did have two Flash-themed cups and one lit-up. I did not even notice the cups when we were buying our popcorn, but in the theatre during the credits, in the dark is where I saw someone's cup lit up, it looked really cool. So after the movie, I went back over to the concession area to see the light-up cup. The light-up cup is $15 and the non-light-up cup is $7.50. If you want to see the light-up cup check out my TikTok or Instagram Stories. 


I am going to mention Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse because we just watched that last week and in comparison, I felt the new Spider-Man felt too long. They spent way too much time showing that there were different Spidermen throughout time, and then to give us nothing at the end, we have to wait until part 2. I left the theatre feeling like what, that's it. I will say I loved Miles (Shameik Moore) as Spiderman, I loved his Colombian family. I loved the Gwen character but in comparison to this movie, I like The Flash better. This coming from someone who is not majorly into comic book characters. I know Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse received great reviews for the imagery, and I have seen a ton of behind-the-scenes clips, that rave about the film. Let's say a novice who knows nothing about Spider-Man or The Flash like myself watches these two films, Spider-Man Spider-Verse was just way too much in comparison to The Flash. I would still recommend you watch it if you like Spider-Man, and I also recommend you go see The Flash.

If you are in the Sacramento area, and looking for The Flash light-up cups, the theatre we watched the advance screening was the Century Theatre at 1590 Ethan Way near Arden Fair Mall in the Howe About Arden Shopping Center. 

At this advance screening, they were handing out these three posters pictured below. 



Thank you for reading this review of The Flash, I hope you will share it with your friends and family. If you are new here, I hope you will give us a follow on social media. We love sharing things to do locally in Northern California, as well as fun places to travel. We also share recipes and local restaurants. We have four sons, so you will find family content and ideas of fun things you can do with your family. You can find us on TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, and Pinterest, pretty much everywhere @BlogAboutItAll.