I was invited to a special preview of the NEW Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon experience at the SMUD Museum of Science and Curiosity. The show debuts on July 29th and will run through August, so hurry and get your tickets. The MOSAC Museum is located at 400 Jibboom Street, Sacramento, CA. I was not super familiar with the music from Pink Floyd but WOW, this was such a fun way to experience space and the planetarium. If you love music, you will LOVE this. It is definitely the coolest planetarium experience I've ever been to. 


If you have ever been to another planetarium theater experience, it was probably narrated by a monotone voice or had slow music with it, not epic guitar sounds like this show. This show attached to the Pink Floyd music is such a unique experience. I wish my husband could have gone with me, he is a musician and works in audio/visual so he would have LOVED this. He was out of town for work so I took my sixteen-year-old. Note this is a paid program, and not included with a Museum entry ticket. 

While my other children have visited MOSAC before, this was his first visit, he loved the Multiverse Theater, it is state of the art! He loved the music, so I think no matter if you are familiar with Pink Floyd or not, you'll enjoy it. This show is mostly aimed at adults and the 13+ crowd, as there are some curse words. I am not for certain as I have only seen it once, but at the beginning, there is a small portion of Pink Floyd conversation audio played and there is some language, and then somewhere in the middle, a song also has some language, but it is not excessive and during those parts, the speaking audio volume is lower so I feel like you would have to really be listening to catch it. I was looking for what was going to be "inappropriate" because the info I read had the following disclaimers 

* Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. Parents are urged to be cautious. Some material may be inappropriate for pre-teenagers.

* Please be advised that this show contains bright, sometimes flashing lights, virtual motion, and loud music. This experience is not recommended for guests who are highly sensitive to light, motion, and noise.


Photo by Diana Miller Photography

If you have not yet experienced the planetarium theater here, you get to lounge back and the dome theater screen makes you feel like you really are staring up at the stars. This particular show had so many cool transitions. There were parts where I felt the room was moving, it truly is an immersive experience. MOSAC is proud to be the only west-coast planetarium to host Pink Floyd ‘The Dark Side Of The Moon’. This is a mind-blowing experience celebrating 50 years since the release of the iconic album. For tickets and more information click here visitmosac.org/pink-floyd/

This music took me back to my childhood, let me explain. I believe I gained my love for all types of music from my parents. While my parents are Hispanic, they listened to a variety of music. I grew up listening to Spanish music blasting while my mom made homemade tortillas in the early morning hours and as she cleaned the house, and then on many occasions my dad was blasting Santana and Earth, Wind, and Fire music. I am sure he probably listened to some Pink Floyd too, but those other bands were his favorites. So I say all that to say while sitting there listening to Pink Floyd, it brought me right back to the sounds of my childhood. I know my dad is going to love this show! If you know Pink Floyd fans, definitely tell them about this show. 

If you have never been to the SMUD Museum of Science and Curiosity, it is such a fun hands-on museum. They have a nature room where you can guess things from nature based on smell, you can push buttons and listen to sounds from nature and they have a really cool microscope where you can see up close and with great clarity a butterfly, bee, and more. It is two stories and on the upstairs level is where you will find the Multiverse Theater as well as an entire area where you can test your engineering skills by building things. Upstairs is where you will also find a room all about space. Even my six-teen-year-old enjoyed exploring the museum after the Pink Floyd preview. They even have a toddler zone, this really is a great museum for all ages. 








Here is info from a press release we were given. 

The Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon is an immersive planetarium experience featured at MOSAC’s state-of-the-art Multiverse Theater. MOSAC will be the only west-coast museum to feature the Pink Floyd experience that celebrates the 50-year anniversary of their iconic album. The hour-long experience features the full album accompanied by stunning visuals that only a planetarium can display. The cost is $25 for general admission and $20 for MOSAC members. The show debuts on July 29 and will have dates available through August. Additional dates will be added soon. For more information and tickets, visit visitmosac.org.  

Pink Floyd’s iconic album ‘The Dark Side Of The Moon’, originally released in March 1973, turns 50, and what more fitting a place to celebrate it and experience it than in a Planetarium, through the music set to visuals. With the help of modern technology, the idea of a show combining breath-taking views of the solar system and beyond, played out to 42 minutes of The Dark Side Of The Moon in surround sound, has been embraced by the band. NSC Creative have led the visual production efforts, working closely with Pink Floyd’s long-time creative collaborator Aubrey Powell from Hypnosis.  Each song has a different theme; some futuristically looking forward and some a retro acknowledgment to Pink Floyd’s visual history, all relating to a time and space experience, embracing up-to-the-minute technology that only a Planetarium can offer. A truly immersive and all-encompassing surround sound and visual treat that will transcend reality and take you way beyond the realms of 2D experience. 


Some other things to know before you go.

Parking - The City of Sacramento operates the parking lot at MOSAC.  The parking fee is $6/day.  Visitors can use the kiosk in front of the museum to pay for parking or by visiting the PARKMOBILE website, input the location code 6848 and check out as a guest.

Multiverse Theater - A complimentary general UC Davis Multiverse Theater show is included with your general admission; however, the theater has limited capacity. You can reserve your theater seat at the front desk on the day of your visit.

They have a MOSAC Café with food available but you may also bring your own light snacks. There is no food or drink allowed in the theater, but they do have picnic tables around the theater and there is a park within walking distance.