I started eating low carb / Keto this past October 2018, slowly easing in I really did not get strict until this January 2019. I have done low carb eating off and on since high-school when the "Atkins Diet" was popular.  Over the years I have gained and lost weight so many times.  Usually after pregnancy I would eat low carb until I fit back into my clothes and then I would tell myself "it's all about balance" and then go back to eating sugar and bread and end up way overeating and gaining all the weight back.  

What even started me on this journey?  I was not feeling my best health wise.  I was also considering having another baby, but did not want to get pregnant at an unhealthy weight.  I was dealing with low back pain, knee pain, always tired.  I have four young boys and I need to be able to keep up with them.  In October I said to my husband I was going to make a change and work on losing weight.  First let me mention my husband also has done low carb eating off and on since 2016.  He also would gain weight with me when I was pregnant, and then lose the weight.  In the past he has been so much better at making it a lifestyle.  If he ate something that was not on his eating plan, he would just have that one meal and get right back to it.  I on the other hand, would have what I called a "cheat meal", which turned into a "cheat day", which turned into a "cheat weekend", which turned into I guess I'll get started on Monday.  


I recognized how much my life revolved around food.  I am Hispanic, food is a major part of our culture.  We celebrate around food, we grieve around food, if we get together for any reason whatsoever, food is involved and the menu is planned and discussed in great detail.  Food has always been a comfort for me, I recognized how much I emotionally eat.  Again not always just under stress, or tough days, also around happy times.  If someone got a promotion, lets go out for dinner, if someone met a goal, lets go out for ice cream.  

It also has not helped that I love to cook, I love to bake, I love trying new recipes, which has me eating frequently, and not always the best choices.

This time around on my journey I realized how I needed to make this a lifestyle change, not eat low carb and Keto style to "lose weight" but to live long and live strong.  I purposed to change my eating habits to feel healthier.  I also had extreme back pain in January that persisted all the way through May when I had an MRI was told I had three bulging disc in my lower back and pinched nerves.  The Dr.'s told me to avoid back surgery, I needed to lose weight and strengthen my core.  This was a huge motivator to get healthy and take care of my body.  


I strongly believe it is important to know yourself and your motivations.  Why you eat?  What is important to you?  Do you like to cook or do you need simple fast healthy choices that require no cooking.  Everyone is different.  What works for one person may not work "long term" for you.  That is okay!  Find what works for you.  Some people count carbs, count macros, count calories.  Some people measure themselves and they can stay motivated by their measurements.  Some people get bored eating just salad, meat and a vegetable and they need to find "mock recipes" of their favorite meals.  Some people need the "Keto" bars, drinks, shakes, etc.    


I have all sorts of what I would call "phases" in my journey.  When I first started in October I was not willing to go all in and quit carbs cold turkey.  My husband and I go on a date night every Friday and at the beginning of this journey I just kept thinking I am not going out on a Friday night date night and only eating a salad or In-N-Out with their protein style burgers.   

So for me I had to ease into it, I told myself I could order whatever you want to eat Friday night for dinner.  I also told myself though not to go overboard.  Have one bread roll, no dessert, or I would have a low carb cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory or something like that.  This helped me get started!  In times past I would eat a high carb dinner and then also go to the ice cream shop because I had "blown it".  

Last November and December,  I baked and ate the typical Thanksgiving dinner, for Christmas I had tamales.  I did not make myself not have the things I loved.  I feel by giving myself permission if you would to go at my pace, that I could envision eating healthier for life.  


This Thanksgiving I am planning a Keto Thanksgiving, I've grown in my commitment to eating this way. That is what I mean by phases along the journey.  I've noticed what I feel like when I eat sugar and bread and do not like the way I feel after.  Over the next few weeks I will be sharing some low carb/keto friendly dishes I will be making this Thanksgiving.  My encouragement to you is do what works for you, get started, keep going and don't be discouraged by how slow you go, just don't quit.  

This January is when I found myself more committed and decided no consistent cheat meals no weekly or monthly celebrate days. I also will share I am not super strict or counting carbs, I try to eat as few as possible based on set meal planning, but I did not eliminate croutons, or eliminate regular salad dressings and such.  I will also share for the beginning I ate pretty boring, I was not trying too many low carb or Keto recipes.  In years past I would make "Oopsie Rolls" and many other low carb creations.  This time around I was keeping it simple and consistent, that is what I needed.  Only recently (after losing 50 pounds) have I expanded my eating choices.  I will share some sample meals of what I eat on a daily basis below.  

I’ve lost 50 lbs which is really not a lot in year but I’m reminded of the big difference when I see photos and which is another reason why I’m grateful I didn’t weigh myself weekly, monthly or at all this year. Only at a recent Dr appointment did I realize I’ve lost 50 lbs. If I am honest when I was being super strict at the beginning of the year and if I only saw about 5 lbs a month lost I don’t know if I would have stuck with it. I could have become discouraged by what the scale said. Since I have been walking daily, eating right, etc. I purposed this time around to focus on a “healthy lifestyle”, focus on feeling healthier and not be moved by that scale.

If you are just starting or thinking about starting on getting healthier or any goal you may have I encourage you just get started and keep going. Walk to the mail box, park farther at the grocery store.  I wear a Fitbit bracelet that tracks my steps I find it motivates me to keep moving and reminds me when I have been inactive for too long.  Each day make choices to achieve your goals and don’t be moved by how fast or how slow just keep going forward, keep moving in the right direction for your goals.That’s in paying off debt! Getting healthier! Improving the relationships in your life. Reading more, or whatever your goal, day by day, step by step.  It's not about perfection it's all about progression!
This is what I consistently eat. I will share very soon on another blog post products and things that I have incorporated over time.  I will also mention I drink a ton of water, a low day for me is 80 ounces.  
I will also share at the beginning I ate every three hours.  This helped me because if I wait until I feel hungry than I do not always make the best food choices.  So by staying on top of "never feeling hungry" that helps me throughout the day.  
BREAKFAST
1-cup coffee with splash heavy whip cream and Jordan’s Skinny Syrup
Eggs (scrambled, over easy, hard boiled) with Sausage or Bacon
Or once in a while I'll make an omelette with spinach, mushroom, veggies.
I also like to make this Easy Breakfast Egg Bake this makes it easy for my husband to have breakfast to take on the go.  
Mason Jar Omelette (don't look at the bread bowls on this post)
Berries sometimes not daily
A handful of almonds if I am on the go and don't have time to cook.

LUNCH

Salad (with meat)
Taco Salad 
Kielbasa
Bratwurst 
Tuna with mayo in lettuce wraps or on celery 
Salami and Cream Cheese
Any leftover grilled meat from dinner (Chicken Thighs,Tri-Tip, etc)
DINNER
Meat with Veggies
Salad
Steak
Chicken Breasts and Chicken Thighs (Baked or Grilled)
Fish (Tilapia, Halibut or Salmon)
Hamburgers Lettuce Wrapped
Fajita Style Meat in Romaine Lettuce or on top of a Salad a Fajita Salad
Ground Beef Taco Salad
Bratwurst with Grilled Onions

Kielbasa with Grilled Onions
Broccoli

Zucchini
Squash
Brussels sprouts
Green Beans (usually with bacon)
Spaghetti squash with meatballs
Zucchini Lasagna
DESSERT
Strawberries
Blueberries
Blackberries
Whip Cream
Sugar Free Jello
Low Carb Cheesecake (homemade)
SNACKS 
String Cheese
Almonds
Peanuts
Sunflower Seeds
Beef Jerky
Peanut Butter on Celery
Ranch and Celery
Pork Rinds
Cheese Dip & Celery (I make a cheese dip with fine shredded cheddar cheese, mayo and pepper)
First pic was taken last year April 2018, second pic is this September.  The third picture is from just this past November 24, 2018.  The last picture is also from this September 2019.