Bedtime routines are important and also special.  I know as a parent there are some nights that are not as easy as other nights.  I try and remind myself before I know it they won’t want me to tuck them in bed and read them that same story book we have read 10,000 times.  There are those nights when I am tired and don’t want to do anything, I would like just to sit and relax.  As I watch my boys, I’m reminded they are growing so fast and won’t always need me to pick out their pajamas and watch them as they play in the bath.  My oldest likes to shower all by himself, he likes to pick out his pajamas and even wants to read his own bedtime story at times.
 
I am grateful that my children have been good sleepers even from the very early days.  When they were newborns, that first week home, I remember breastfeeding every two hours, all three of my sons quickly moved to every four hours and then within the first couple of months they would sleep six hours at night, which was great.  As infants we usually put them down for bed at 10 PM and they would sleep until 4 AM when they were still nursing.  I nursed my boys until they were 9-10 months, once I moved them to formula they would sleep till 6 AM.

It was easy when they were babies, to feed, bathe and change them and they were ready for bed, we had a consistent bedtime routine.  I never really had to rock them to sleep or pat their backs, unless they weren’t feeling well which was rare or if I was in the rocking cuddling mood we moms have those moments when we rock them for us. 

Consistency is a key factor, if you can start your children when they are young with a bedtime routine I find they will continue to do well in a bedtime routine as they grow.  That being said, if you haven’t had a successful bedtime routine, you can start today.  It will take some time for them to get used to but it is possible to start a routine if you haven’t had one, or change the time frame you have been working with to have a battle free bedtime.

Our bedtime routine starts at 7 PM, we go upstairs to take baths and my oldest (who is seven) likes to shower.  We get into our pajamas and each one picks out a book to read.  Depending on how the night has gone, and if they aren’t interested in playing long in the bath they sometimes have time for a short show.  At these ages, I try to keep it to a Little Bear, Franklin, Peter Rabbit, or 3-2-1 Penguins.  Many of these episodes are 15 to 20 minutes long.  They usually have a snack before bath, sometimes we will do a snack during their show, then we brush teeth, read their stories, recite their memory verses, say their prayers, and lights out.  When our boys were little (infant to 3 years old), we usually played a music cd at bedtime.  My older boys go to sleep listening to the Adventures in Odyssey series, they love these stories that have character building traits within them. 

I know there are changes as they age and at different stages in life.  I found each of my boys when they were 4 years old that year before entering kindergarten, they struggled more with bedtime.  This is the time when they’d come downstairs multiple times, needing a drink of water, asking for another story, or some other request/delay tactic.  I also realized that they were taking 2 hour naps at pre-school and although they still needed at nap at this age.  It was much better at night if they only napped one hour.  If they didn’t nap at all they would be grouchy in the evening hours, but if they napped the full 2 hours they struggled with falling asleep at 8 PM.  Persistence would win out in this stage, there would be nights we would have to return our escapee back to his bed, there were nights with crying, pleading and bargaining, as we stood our ground, returned them to bed, reminded them even if you are not tired it’s bedtime, lay in your bed quietly and listen to your story it’s time for bed, he would get the idea we meant business and were not giving in.  I know this can be exhausting but with consistency and persistence you will reap the rewards.  The battle free nights will outnumber the nights of battle.

My two oldest boys share a room and the youngest has his own room, which works well for us.  My three year old will stay in his bed.  The two older boys like to play and talk to each other, especially in that transition stage of pre-school to kindergarten, so many times, if they kept playing and talking one of the boys would lay in mommy and daddy’s bed, most times within a few minutes of separation they would be fast asleep and then daddy can put him back in his bed.

As soon as my two oldest boys started kindergarten they are in full day kindergarten 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM, and they take no naps, they are ready for bed when 8 PM comes around making bedtime easy.  When my second born son, was at this stage I would remind myself and my husband at times when frustrated with him not wanting to go to sleep.  Remember Diego did the same thing at this age, we would remind him it’s time for bed, sometimes have to walk upstairs with him and tuck him back in bed, but that year goes by fast, I know it doesn’t always feel like that but it does.  Another thing that helped in this stage is if the weather permitted we would ride bikes, or jump on our backyard trampoline after dinner, to burn off some of that extra energy.  I love having a trampoline, it was one of the best gifts the boys received, unless it’s raining and sometimes even then, our trampoline gets used every day.

I am very grateful that my husband has been a huge help with the bedtime routine, if I have laundry to fold, or some work to do on the computer, he many times will help with baths, and getting the boys in bed.  We work great together, many times; one of us will straighten up downstairs, and get things ready for the next morning while the other one is giving baths.  Sometimes my husband travels for work this is a great reminder to me of the huge help he is.  If your spouse doesn’t normally help, don’t ask for help when you are frustrated and snap at them.  Wait till you are alone, or when you are lying in bed talking, mention how you would appreciate more help in the bedtime routine.  I know most mom’s and women have a list they do at night (laundry, loading or emptying the dishwasher, straightening, thawing out tomorrow’s dinner, pre-packing lunches, back packs, to do lists and so much more).  Husbands don’t always know we actually would like help, sometimes they think it’s just what we do.  Remember men are from Mars women are from Venus.  We are different and with a little loving conversation you can learn to understand and help each other.

Make bedtime routine a family affair it is easier with both parents on board assisting and realize they won’t always need you to rock them to sleep, read them bedtime stories and tuck them in.  Even if your baby will only fall asleep if you rock him to sleep, that will only be a year at the most, maybe two it will be gone before you know it.  Our kids grow so fast, enjoy this season rest assured as they grow, it gets easier, and they start to be big helpers.  My seven year old is a great helper, little brothers even want him to read the bedtime story and not always mom or dad and that is great, since we love to listen to him read.   

Keep the bedtime routine simple and consistent usually within a couple of weeks, the kids will help assist in the structure you put in place.  Give yourself ample time to do snack, bath, story time, and be in bed by 8 PM-8:30 PM, start at least one hour before you want them in their beds.  Prepare your kids as the evening winds down, letting them know they have 30 minutes and then we are taking baths and getting ready for bed.  Kids like to know what the plan is.  Keep working at it, remember persistence, give it some time to become part of their routine and stay calm.  Even if there is struggle from the kids, if you keep your calm, things will go a lot smoother, it’s okay to let them cry in their bed.  When you know they are bathed, fed and changed, they will be okay.   

Thank you for reading if you’ve enjoyed the content you’ve read above please share with your friends.