One of the many reasons I love autumn and winter is SOUP!  I’ve never met a soup I didn’t like, and potato soup is one of my all-time favorites.  I’ve tried a variety of recipes for making potato soup and I find most recipes are quite similar. 

One year the day after Thanksgiving I found myself at Costco for some Black Friday deals and they were giving away a free Costco Cook Book.  I love cook books!  I would love to pull out one of my cook books and cook every single recipe inside it, just haven’t brought myself to do that yet.

Anyways back to my story, in the Costco cook book was a Potato Soup recipe so obviously that was one for sure I was going to try.  The recipe was great, remember me “I’ve never met a soup I didn’t like” but over the many times I’ve prepared it, I’ve changed things, added things, used what I’ve done from another recipe and voila below is how I make potato soup.

This is a great recipe to cook because if you are a working or busy mom, with a little prep work it’s easy to throw into the crock pot in the morning and when you come home dinner is done. 

Tip: Chop and dice all your ingredients the night before, place the diced potatoes and carrots in a bowl with water covering the potatoes.  Place in your refrigerator and in the morning you just need to throw everything in the crockpot.  Even the onions, chop and place in a Ziploc bag, and then everything is ready to go in the morning.

For a heartier meal you can serve with grilled cheese sandwiches, one of our favorites.

Potato Soup Recipe:
Ingredients:
6 Russet Potatoes, peeled, diced into bite size pieces
½ onion chopped diced (I usually use red onion)
Diced carrots (I usually use about 15 baby carrots)
1-10 ¾ ounce can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1-10 ¾ ounce can of Cream of Celery Soup
4 chicken bouillon cubes
4 cups of water
1-12 ounce can of Evaporated Milk (save for last couple of hours of cooking)
Last 1-2 hours of cooking, I mix ¼ cup of flour in a bowl with the can of evaporated milk whisk all the lumps out, and then pour this mixture in the crock pot to thicken the soup.
  1. Place all ingredients except the evaporated milk and toppings in a crock pot, cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or cook on high for 5 hours.
  2. Stir in evaporated milk and flour mixture for at least one hour, I prefer 2 hours before ready to serve.
  3. Garnish each serving with the toppings listed below.  Makes 8-10 servings.

Toppings for Garnish:
Shredded Cheese
Chopped cooked bacon
Sour Cream
Chives or Green Onion diced (I usually have green onion so I use that)

Optional:
The recipe above is my go to recipe and what I do most of the time.  Recently due to getting these recipe starter spice kits through couponing, I added one of these in.  Since it’s in my picture here I will list the spices.  Feel free to use or omit. 
Spices are: ½ tsp. Ground Black Pepper, 1 tsp. Minced Garlic, 1 tsp. Marjoram Leaves, ½ tsp. Oregano Leaves, ½ tsp. Crushed Rosemary Leaves and ½ tsp. Thyme Leaves.
Thank you for reading if you’ve enjoyed the content you’ve read above please share with your friends.