I know Grandparents Day was this past Sunday, September 8th but my blog wasn't up and running for me to post yet, so here goes.  Two of my kids celebrated today at what they call Grandparents Chapel at school.  Each class prepared something special, a song, skit, poem, etc.  It was quite cute but isn't that what all mom’s and grandparents say when there little ones are involved.
My post is to encourage you to call your grandparents if you haven’t already, maybe you didn't know it was grandparent’s day or maybe you meant to get around to it but never did.   As grown adults if you still have grandparents that are living, cherish that.  It’s never too late to foster a relationship with them.  It’s nice to be thought of on your birthday or special days and sometimes for no particular reason at all.  Share a memory with them from your younger years or just a simple call to say hello and how are you doing.  I lived near my grandparents in Colorado till I was about 3 or 4, then we moved to Arizona.  When I was about 5 or 6 I had the privilege of flying back and spending the summer with my grandparents, after my younger years, we only went back to visit every few years for family reunions.  So I remind my children often how blessed they are that they have both sets of grandparents near them.  I have great memories of the many calls I received from my grandparents, my mom’s parents who only spoke Spanish always intrigued me because I didn't learn to speak Spanish until I was around 13 and then even more so in high school when I took Spanish classes.  I remember being so excited when I learned to read and write Spanish to write my mom’s side of the family in Spanish.  My dad’s parents would send things in the mail that I looked forward to receiving.  It’s nice to get special packages and I would send things to them which was always fun.  Near or far celebrate your grandparents!
Pictured Above with my Grandparents in Colorado 2008
Have your children call or send a note to their grandparents and schedule a reminder e-mail to yourself about next year’s Grandparents Day so you can plan something special.  
My children have both sets of grandparents that live very close and they see each of them on a weekly basis.  Often though we can take for granted what we have, my children made a card for their grandparents and were able to see them on Grandparents Day.  It’s nice to see my oldest 2nd grader write his own note of appreciation on his card all on his own, my kindergartner is enjoying coloring and staying in the lines and writing his name and my 3 year old well he created a coloring masterpiece of course ;-).
Depending on the age of your children and budget you may be able to do a variety of different things.  Don’t only limit yourself to the actual Grandparents Day, but schedule out some days in the near future where you will call, write a note of appreciation or have them over for dinner.  I know with this fast paced life we live in sometimes we just don’t take the time to tell our loved ones how special they are to us.  Don’t take them for granted, value the gift they are in your life and your children’s lives.

Things to do for Grandparents Day:

  • Write a note, card, or letter of appreciation.
  • Make a phone call!
  • Send a text picture or post on their Facebook!  Now days many grandparents are tech savvy, my mom loves receiving random text pictures of the boys.
  • Send flowers.
  • Send a care package of their favorite things.
  • Have them over for dinner.
  • Schedule more days on the calendar to call, write or spend time together.
  • Create a craft or personalized gift for them….visit Pinterest for ideas!

  • Save the date Grandparents Day, Sunday, September 13, 2015!

Below are two pictures of my boys with their grandparents.

(Top Photo-with my parents.  We recently took Family Pictures, if you are in need of a photographer check out Tee Sandi Photography she did an awesome job you can find her on Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/TeeSandiPhotography/info or on-line here www.photosbya3.com.)

(Bottom Photo-with my husbands parents at this past Memorial Day Parade, my father-in-law makes some of the best pancakes every year at this local parade.)

VISIT MY WEBSITE